THE RULES, REGULATIONS, INSTRUCTIONS, MANUALS AND
RECORDS HELD BY IT OR UNDER ITS CONTROL OR USED BY ITS EMPLOYEES FOR
DISCHARGING ITS FUNCTIONS AND THE CATEGORIES OF DOCUMENTS THAT ARE HELD BY
IT OR ITS CONTROL.
Service Rules :
Functions To Be Discharged By The Functionary
1) Engineer-In-Chief & Head Of Department :
- Overall Administrative head of all officers and employees of the
- Overall in-charge of all technical and financial matters.
- Key link between Govt. of UP and
2) Chief Engineer:
- To exercise over all control of the works under execution - Progress and
Quality. Technical sanction of all works above than Rs. 1 Crore.
- To approve tenders above Rs. 1 Crore for acceptance by SE.
- Administrative and technical head within the jurisdiction of the zone.
- Important link between local administration at Divisional Commissioner’s
level and UPPWD.
3) Superintending Engineer
- The Superintending Engineer is the administrative and technical head of
- To review and revise schedule of rates as well as sanction rates for new
- He has to inspect the important works in his Circle and is overall
responsible for progress and quality of the works being executed.
- To accord technical sanction to the estimates for the works up to Rs 1
- To accord acceptance of tenders and sign contract agreement on behalf of
Governor of UP up to Rs. 1 crore. Similar powers can be exercised above Rs. 1
Crore with the approval of Chief Engineer.
4) Executive Engineer
- The Executive Engineer is the in-charge of the Division and also called
divisional officers in terns of financial matters. He is responsible to
the Superintending Engineer for execution and management of all works
within his Division. He is the drawing and disbursing authority for all
works within the jurisdiction of his division.
- To accord technical approval up to Rs 40.00 lacs in case of road works.
- To accord acceptance of tenders and sign contract agreements on behalf
of Governor of UP upto Rs. 40.00 Lacs.
- Key link between district administration and
5) Assistant Engineer
- The Assistant Engineer is responsible to Executive Engineer for the
execution and management of all works (Original or Maintenance) under his
- Assistant Engineer is overall responsible for the methodology and
correctness of the measurements recorded by JE of the works under his
control and he should exercise control in this regard and should safeguard
the interests of government.
- He should ensure that the materials allowed to go into the work are as
per specifications. He should also ensure that the finished product
conforms to the prescribed standard and specifications, and should get the
required testing done in the laboratory as well as site.
- The Assistant Engineer should bring to the notice of the Executive
Engineer any unsuitability or technical defect in a design. He is
primarily responsible for all routine designs pertaining to the work.
- The Assistant Engineer is responsible for effective management of the
contract as per various provisions of the contract agreement. He is
Engineer-in-Charge for contract agreement signed by him as well as
- He should ensure that works are not carried out without proper
requisition and taking over of the site and land. All required legal and
environmental issue must be given with care.
- The Assistant Engineer should see that proper accounts are maintained
for all Government financial transactions, and returns relating to them.
- The Assistant Engineer is responsible for the stores belonging to his
section as well as the stores, tools and plant and materials at site of
any works, which are under his direct charge.
- The Assistant Engineer is responsible for the safe custody of imprest
money and he must, at all times, be ready to produce the total amount of
the imprest in vouchers or in cash.
6) Junior Engineer
- JE is primarily responsible for the methodology accuracy and correctness
of the measurements of work entered in measurement book under his control.
- He should ensure that the material brought at site
prescribed specifications and work is carried out according to the set
standards and specification.
- He should ensure that no legal aspects is violated during execution of
- He is responsible of accuracy of all survey works.
Divisional Accounts Officer (Works)
Control of Expenditure: He is responsible to the Executive Engineer for
correctness of all accounts of the division and timely submission of
monthly accounts to AG UP. His position in terms of financial matters is
analogous to that of Assistant Engineer in terms of technical matters.
Checking Of Computed Tenders:
The D.A.O.is responsible for the checking
the computed tenders i.e. for ensuring the correctness of arithmetical
calculation, budget provisions, conformity with technical sanctions,
compliance of prescribed rules for tendering etc.
Bringing the irregular transactions to the notice of the Executive
Engineer: The D.A.O. is responsible for bringing prominently to the notice
of the Executive Engineer all irregular transactions.
Review of Measurement Books:
A regular review of all measurement books
should be conducted. The review is in addition to the review conducted on
the running accounts bill.
Scrutiny of Accounts:
The D.A.O. should examine the accounts returns of
the Divisional officer. He should exercise check on the transactions
recorded in the Divisional cash and Stock accounts. All bills are
pre-audited under his supervision before being put up to the executive
engineer (Divisional Officer) for according ”Pay Order”.
Preparation Of Accounts: D.A.O is overall responsible for timely
preparation of all accounts pertaining to payments, stock adjustment etc.
and its submission to AG UP and SE. He has to ensure timely adjustment of
road metal returns from JE. and submission of quarterly variations to AG, UP.
Arithmetical Accuracy of entries in the Measurement Books And Bills:
arithmetical accuracy of the entries in the Measurement Books relating to bills and
bills itself sent for pre-audit should be checked cent percent in the
divisional office under the supervision of the D.A.O. though not
personally by himself.
Custody of Original Agreements:
The original of agreements concluded by
the Executive Engineer or by the higher authorities and all original
tenders, confidential correspondence etc. shall be in the personal custody
of the D.A.O.
CATEGORIES OF DOCUMENTS
4. LEGAL AND REGULATORY
5. PROCUREMENT AND CONTRACT
6. PROJECT AND PLANNING
7. INVENTORY OF ASSETS AND STOCK